File a Report

The decision to file a formal report or complaint about sexual violence and sexual assault is a personal choice. We’re here to help you understand your options, and the resources available, whether you decide to report or not.

For students, a confidential CARE Advocate can explain your options in detail and answer questions, so you can make the decision that's right for you. Talking to the CARE Advocate doesn't constitute filing an official report about sexual violence. The details of your experience won't be shared with anyone without your permission.  Confidential advocacy and consultations can be reached by calling or emailing:  

  • Jaclyn Wright and Joyce Guinto, CARE Advocates can be reached at (310) 206-2465 during office hours (Weekdays 8-5) or by email:  
  • Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) can be reached 24 hours daily at (310) 825-0768
    For faculty members, other academic appointees, and staff employees, contact the Staff and Faculty Counseling Center (310) 794-0245 for confidential counseling and help, and information about where to go to file a report. Faculty may also contact the Academic Personnel Office regarding their academic rights.

    The chart below shows reporting options and what to expect. Retaliation against a person who brings a complaint of sexual harassment or sexual violence, or someone who participates in an investigation or resolution of a complaint such as a witness, is strictly prohibited under UC Policy. The university will respond to reports of retaliation and may take separate disciplinary action. 

    Options Will my information be confidential? Can I request a forensic medical exam? Will there be
    an investigation?
    Will there be disciplinary action for the accused?
    Title IX Director

    Your privacy will be protected to the greatest legal extent possible.
    Some UC personnel involved in your case will have access to your information, and your name may be shared with the accused if there’s an investigation.
    Yes. It’s up to you.
    In some cases, physical evidence may assist an investigation.
    Possibly, depending on
    the facts of your situation. UC takes reports of sexual violence very seriously. If you decide to report to the university and if an investigation finds that an individual has violated the Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence Policy or other university policies, the university will hold a disciplinary proceeding during which they will decide what disciplinary action will be taken. 
    Police report Your name won’t be disclosed, if you request that it remain confidential.
    However, be aware that if the case advances to a court trial, your name would be included in court records, which are public documents.
    Yes. It’s up to you.
    In some cases, physical evidence may assist an investigation
    Yes Possibly, depending on the facts of your situation.
    Anonymous reporting Yes Yes Depends on the facts of your situation and if it is reported to a campus employee responsible for safety reporting Depends on the facts of your situation and if it is reported to a campus employee responsible for safety reporting


    Telling a professor, work colleague, supervisor or friend

    You should feel free to talk to a trusted friend or colleague. Keep in mind that managers, supervisors and certain employees such as athletic coaches, faculty advisors, teaching assistants and resident advisors are required to report to the Title IX Director.

    If you choose not to report

    If you decide not to file a formal report, all campus resources remain available to support you.

    The CARE Advocate can provide immediate confidential support, explain our available campus resources and help you access the ones you want.

    Here are some examples of the support services offered at UCLA:

    Reporting Options

    UCLA Title IX Office
    2255 Murphy Hall • (310) 206-3417
    To file a Title IX complaint.  This office also provides information and consultation about campus policies and procedures regarding sexual harassment to any interested person. Consultations are also available for faculty, supervisors, administrators, and others who need information about their responsibilities to address sexual harassment of which they become aware.

    UC Police Department (UCPD)
    601 Westwood Plaza • (310) 825-1491
    To file a criminal complaint or request a protective order, call UCPD immediately.


    Other Campus Resources

    The Rape Treatment Center at Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center

    1250 Sixteenth Street
    Santa Monica, California
    (310) 319-4000

    CARE Advocacy Office for Sexual and Gender-Based Violence and Misconduct

    (310) 206-2465
    Murphy Hall A Level, Room 233


    UCLA Consultation & Response Team

    Support for Transgender Community





    UCLA Community Service Officer Evening Escort Program

    When traveling alone on campus and the surrounding area,15 minutes before you need to leave, call (310) 794-WALK

    Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center
    (310) 825-4073

    LGBT Campus Resource Center
    220 Westwood Plaza – Student Activities Center
    (310) 206-3628

    UCLA Student Legal Services
    (310) 825-9894

    Community Resources

    Call the organizations below for additional information about shelters, legal issues, medical care, and other concerns related to your safety:

    National DV Hotline
    1-800-799-SAFE (7233) – 24-hour hotline:

    LA County DV Hotline
    1-800-978-3600 – 24-hour hotline

    Peace Over Violence
    (626) 793-3385 • (310) 392-8381 • (213) 626-3393 – 24-hour hotline

    Sojourn Services for Battered Women and their Children
    (310) 264-6644 – 24-hour hotline

    RAINN • (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network)
    1-800-656-HOPE (4673) – 24-hour hotline

    National Center for Victims of Crime

    LGBTQ Community Resources